Sunday, June 1, 2008

Namsadang performance center



Saturday May 31, 2008

Three of my coworkers and I visited the Namsadang Performance Center and wandered around for a couple of hours. At the art center there were sculptures and a glassware shop, but most of the time I spent there was watching the show.

At the entrance of the art center there's a building that stands as a reminder that I'm on the other side of the earth. Either that or it confirms that my perspective of the archatechure is upside down. Inside is a gallery of handmade stained-glass artwork from local artists.












There's not a lot to write about the show since the dialogue was all in Korean - the story was truly lost on me. We watched what I understand was a drama, the costumes were colorful and the performance spirited but I couldn't understand a word that was spoken.






Then it got really exciting! A troupe of inmates from the asylum next door managed to get their straight jackets untied and started running around the performance area! Soon their meds started working agian and they walked back inside...







Time to move on to other attractions in the area, maybe something that transcends the language barrier.
More later,
Jerry.

No comments: