Sunday, June 29, 2008

Temples. . . all over the place

Sometimes I just get lucky.

My tourist M.O. follows the accidental tourist mentality: I drive around until I see a sign pointing to a landmark, follow the arrows, and hopefully when I arrive there's something to see. Usually the objects of the arrows are big and obvious enough that even this English-only American can find them, like the monument to King Jeonjo the Great, and the Anseong brassware museum. Sometimes after following the arrows in circles I just give up, baffled, frustrated and wondering why there's an English sign on the highway but only signs in Hangul at the destination. Ironically, the Korean Literary Museum is one such landmark I haven't yet found. Fortunately, temples are big, colorful, generally hard to hide and easy to spot.

Driving East along highway 38 one weekend I simultaneously spotted a familiar-looking brown sign with an arrow, presumably pointing toward a landmark. I checked the rearview mirror while braking hard and swerving onto the access road, and mentally added 1.2km to the odometer as indicated on the sign. After a few weekends of seeking landmarks my skills are improving, but sometimes I wonder why people don't want to ride along on my weekend excursions.

The road follows a gentle stream with families picnicking on the wider banks, and at the end lies the parking lot of the Seongnamsa temple.


The first building I saw from the parking lot was over the steps to the temple grounds.




The building is a large open room facing the temple grounds, empty except for a stack of woven rugs stacked in one corner. Perhaps this is the dance hall? The pictures really speak volumes more than I can write, the paintwork is absolutely amazing.



The painted dragon banner picture on my blog page is from one of the beams




I do wonder about the wooden fish though...


Continuing up the steps I see the main temple at the top, with its doors open.



Midway up the stairs is a clearing with still more things see



Yet another stone pagoda...



And finally, I reach the temple. I poked my lens inside the open doors and this is what I saw:






And finally, on the walk back to the parking lot, I discovered the how the Buddhists do real Korean BBQ



Until next time...

Jerry.

3 comments:

maxgalactictours said...

When are you going to the DMZ?

saguaro said...

Jerry --

Well, after needling you to update your blog I've finally returned to check it out in more than just a quick, cursory way . . .

. . . Wow! Although I've also been to temples in Korea (years ago) and found them to be amazing -- especially so the fascinating and awe-inspiring attention to the fine details -- your images here are both beautiful and soothing. I really appreciate your eye. For me the best image was that featuring the tiny Buddha nestled within the much larger edifice: nice, Zen-like touch. I'd love to come into one of these temples and simply sit there all night, listening to the (hopefully) stillness and serenity.

We miss you here on Sundays!

maxgalactictours said...

Hey Jerry,

You might want to check out this website about hangul.

http://thinkzone.wlonk.com/Language/Korean.htm

Max