Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I'm going Home!


I received an EMail today that the company is running out of money for the project that I've been working on, and they asked me to come home ASAP. I'm not really surprised, we've been burning through cash at an alarming rate for a couple of years now so I've had a notion that sometime it would come to an end. What's most frustrating is the short notice of my return.

I've booked my flight home, to arrive in SFO on Saturday September 6th at 12:30pm and I'm already mentally on the plane home. My time here in Korea has been an enriching experience, one that I will never forget and certainly look forward to my next opportunity to work overseas. Now that I know some of what what to expect when living far away from home for an extended period, my next assignment will go considerably smoother.

I have been looking around for what I'm really going to miss when I'm back home and there is one thing that I will try to duplicate back in the states, and that's Korean barbecue. I'm still unsure what cut of pork rib they cook up at the table, but it's simply delicious. The meat is a long strip of pork with a single rib attached, marinated in something tasty and cooked at the table on a charcoal grill. About halfway through the cooking, the waitress brings a large pair of kitchen shears and cuts it up into bit size pieces. The dining table is covered with little bowls, each with something different to wrap up with the pork, usually garlic slices, sliced onions in soy sauce, spicy red bean paste ("Korean Ketchup" as it was described), kimchee (natch!), white rice, garlic shoots, bean sprouts -- the array of flavors is limited only by the imagination. To eat, you start with a folded lettuce leaf in your palm, add whatever suits your pallette and a piece of pork, wrap, and eat. We had this for our farewell lunch today and it is still my favorite Korean meal. And again, I forgot to bring my camera!

I will miss the friends I've made in Korea who helped me maintain some semblence of sanity, namly J.R., Roger, Jason, Jim, Will, Ken, Jerry, and all the others I've met who I don't remember by name. It is this loosly associated group of people who welcomed me as a friend, invited me on weekend getaways, and helped feed me spiritually. My only hope is that I was able to contribute as much as I received. God bless you all.

My next blog entry may be when I'm a hometown tourist, journaling my journeys through San Jose and the bay area, but who knows -- life's a journey, I'll bring my camera.

Jerry.